Friday, October 18, 2013

Running (or my version of it)

Saturday I will run in my first competitive 5K since I started this training. E is running with me which means he gets to push the double stroller to slow him down. There is no way I can run at his pace. I am pretty sure I would have a heart attack. I ran my fastest 5K the other day during my weekly training run. I ran a mile in 9:27. I cursed myself the entire time for running that fast. I didn't think I would make it, and I had to slow down, but I did finish the 3 miles in 30 minutes. I usually curse myself during my runs anyway because I wonder why I voluntarily went out to run. However, I do feel myself getting stronger every week. What used to be hard to accomplish is now easy. When I first started, I was happy if I ran a half mile before walking. Then it stretched to three quarters of a mile, and then a mile. I remember the first time I ran two miles without walking I started throwing my hands in the air out of excitement. I am pretty sure the people driving by thought I was crazy. This past weekend I ran 5 miles without walking. I never thought I would see the day. There were times I wanted to walk, but I pushed myself. It is nice to actually feel my body responding to the training. I am going to run a 10K in a few weeks so I can change my corral for the half marathon. Since I didn't have a previous race for proof of time, I will be placed in the last corral. If I run the 10K by December, they will change my corral so hopefully I am not in the back of the pack. That means I can stop a bit more to take pictures and not be picked up for a slow pace. I am not sure if I will ever be a die hard runner, but I do feel healthier and stronger than I did a few months ago.

*Disclaimer: If this post doesn't make sense, I apologize. I was writing it with a 3 year old talking constantly next to me even though I asked for 2 minutes of quiet while she ate her breakfast. My old brain sometimes struggle with multitasking.  

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing!!! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, " I wonder why I voluntarily went out to run"!! Hilariuos.
    Way to go on getting stronger, going farther, and getting faster!!
    Just you wait... I bet when you cross those finish lines you'll be itching to sign up for more races! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, friend! You will do great! I'm running in a 5k this weekend, too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your opinion!