Monday, March 19, 2012

Dining Out

On Saturday, I attend my first Dining Out with my husband.  It was mandatory so he had to go.  I decided to go with him since we hardly get to go out without Hannah.  It was $40 a person so I was hoping it would be good.  It was interesting.  I understand the Navy is very in to all their traditions, but at one point I just wanted everybody to shut up so I could eat.  We usually eat dinner around 5:30 or 6.  I think we were finally served dinner around 8, and it was cold.  It was prime rib served cold.  I inhaled it, but it was not the best.  The servers had the food out and ready to serve except people kept making other people go to the stupid grog, and so it was another 5-10 minutes before the food reached the tables.  It was such a tease!  I could see it, but I couldn't have it.  I am terrible at making small talk so I wasn't much company for the others at the table.  Actually I made a fool out of myself because I started crying.  I sent a text to the woman watching Hannah that it was going to be later than I thought since they were running behind.  She replied saying it was okay, and that Hannah was asleep in her daughter's room so it was like a slumber party for them.  For some reason it made me cry.  I can't explain why, but it did.  I am pretty sure the others at the table thought I was crazy.  We did sit with a guy who is a member of the French air force who is here for flight training.  It was interesting to see what he thought of all this.  He looked bored most of the time.  All in all, it was pretty much what I expected.  Lots of drinking (cash bar), all the branches making fun of each other, and instructors going wild.  I guess that is what happens when you put a bunch of pilots together in one room.  I know for next time, look for a dress sooner than the week of the event so I can have it tailored, eat before I go or plan on stopping at Taco Bell after, and drink heavily (which I didn't do).

My dress is from Goodwill.  Score!

1 comment:

  1. Love the dress!! You looked pretty even if it didn't turn out to be an ideal evening.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your opinion!