Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sister Wives

I will admit I watch Sister Wives.  I can't stop watching it.  The show fascinates me.  I don't know how much of it is real considering reality tv doesn't seem to be very real anymore.  However, the idea behind the show intrigues me.  I honestly don't think polygamy should be illegal.  I understand the outrage behind when you have people like Warren Jeffs taking 12 year old girls and turning them into wives and abusing them both sexually and physically.  It is sad to say that happens outside of the Jeffs' Zion ranch though.  I think in the case of the Browns they are over 18 and the kids don't appear to be abused.  Now for the real reason I write this.  I think I understand why they choose plural marriage.  There is no way I could share my husband like they do.  That is not for me.  He is my husband and no one else's.  However, I get the community type feel they have to their family.  They function as four separate families, and as one entity.  There have been many days where I wish I could have gone downstairs to find another adult and kids to hang out with.  I know what you are thinking though, "That's what friends are for."  Which is true except for my situation it is has been tough to find some nearby.  My family only has 1 car which makes it tough sometimes for Hannah and I to get out of the house.  Some people are extremely lucky to be very good friends with neighbors.  I am not one of those people.  I would love it if I could live in a huge house with my close friends and their families.  We each have our own house inside of a very large house.  I can have my own space when I need it, or I can easily go hang out with someone when I feel like I am about to pull my hair out and I need a break.  Who knows?  Maybe it wouldn't really work because you would still be close to get a break from each other.  I think what it boils down to is I miss my friends and family.  I wish they were closer right now.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about wanting to have other people around sometimes. I grew up with three siblings, and I am not really used to having a ton of alone time. There is something nice about coming home and getting to chat with someone without feeling like you have to go to the trouble of going out or planning an activity or anything. Sometimes I wish I had roommates again, even if at times that can be stressful and you just want to be alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! There are days where I was back in my old apartment when I lived with my friends. Some days we were sick of each other, but I always knew if I was bored I could walk down the hall and have someone to hang out with. I wish we lived closer so we could hang out more often!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your opinion!