Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Weekend fun

This past weekend I made a very quick trip to Kansas City for a friend's wedding. I booked at the last minute due to E's health issues and money. Luckily, he is feeling better and  I found a ticket I could afford so off I went! It was my first trip without kids. I hadn't spent a night away from my kids since November 2010 when Hannah was 5 months old. I took full advantage. I had to wake up at 3 Friday morning to catch my flight, and after 3 flights, it was nice to be in KC so I could relax. An ice storm moved in which sucked, but it made it feel more like home. Friday night I slept for 10 1/2 hours. It was glorious! No kids, no dogs, and the bed I slept on did not hurt my back. I wanted to stay there all day. Unfortunately, I had to make myself all pretty for the wedding. Of course I didn't take one picture because I forgot.

The ceremony was interesting. The bride is Egyptian and she practices Egyptian Coptic Orthodox religion. They flew in priests and bishops from Egypt to perform the ceremony. It was crazy!  My friend was the groom, and he had to convert in order to marry her. Although he converted, it looked like he didn't have a clue what was going on. Some of it was in Egyptian while most was in English. I was sorry I wore my cute shoes because it was an hour and a half long, and we stood for probably 75% of it. I thought Catholic ceremonies were long! It was neat to see a different faith's rituals even if it meant freezing my booty off. (You can read more about the religion here.  I had never heard of it until my friend told me about it.) The reception was pretty nice. It was open bar so I was happy. I rarely drink because I usually have kids around, but since I was on my own for the weekend I decided to cut loose. There was food, free alcohol, cake, and dancing. That is pretty much all I need to enjoy a reception. It was so nice to make a trip back to KC to see everyone. I know it is going to be a long time before I am able to go back.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that definitely sounds like an interesting experience. I'm so glad you had a good time though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what I'm most envious of… The trip to KC, the kid-less time, the sleeping in, or the open bar?! Sounds like an AWESOME little getaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got to sleeeeeeeeep. And I also love learning about different cultures and faith, so that ceremony fascinating to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds WONDERFUL! I can't wait for a break like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! I love my kids, but it was so nice to feel like Angie instead of Mom for a few days.

      Delete

I'd love your opinion!