Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I forgot

This past weekend the husband gave me an opportunity to have 2 hours to myself.  2 hours!  I was supposed to leave the house and not come home until 5.  Since we are low on money I decided to go to the library and then go to the gym.  Well, the library was closed despite what their website said.  I didn't want to go to the gym without a book to read otherwise I give up on working out within a few minutes (I am lame I know.)  I came home to get a book when I remembered that they are in a box somewhere in my garage.  The husband told me to find something else to do.  I went out to the car, sat there for a minute, and my mind was completely blank.  I had no clue what I could do that didn't involve taking kids somewhere or running errands.  I started crying.  I felt like I had lost myself.  I felt like a loser.  In that moment I missed my family and friends.  I miss calling up a friend and asking if they want to hang out.  I know 2 other women here.  That's it.  One has two kids so she is pretty busy.  The squadron isn't very social so I haven't been able to meet other spouses through squadron functions.  I felt so depressed in that moment.  I decided to take Pepper for a walk.  We both needed to get out of the house (and the exercise.)  All of this leads me to a question, what do you all do if you get free time?

11 comments:

  1. Hugs!! You are NOT a loser!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have napped.

    But I'm sorry you were feeling that way. In time, the kids will get older and you will find yourself again. I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good question. I'm faced with the same dilemma all the time. Hubby always says, "go do something." Like WHAT?! The funds to go buck wild at the mall are not there, so there goes shopping. I know ONE person in my area and she has an 8-year old that keeps her busy.
    Usually I just go for a run, because that's really all I can do...
    I miss home so much it hurts.
    If you find something to do with your free time please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally hear you. It's hard to not put all our eggs in one basket, eh? All I've been doing lately is baby prep - shopping, planning, stressing. I'm going to my bookclub this Friday but I haven't bothered to read the book. I used to ride a bike but Spring won't come and I"m too fat now anyway. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how quickly we can get wrapped up in something else and lose ourselves.

      Delete
  5. LOL what is free time?? I would probably take a nap or work out. Now, if I had lots of money, I would have a spa day. That's what I really need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free time is rare! I get 20 minutes every 4 hours to myself...and that is because I am pumping.

      Delete
  6. Not having local friends is tough. I'm in the same boat for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually go to Target when I have free time. Or Panera Bread. I enjoy ordering something and sitting and either reading or playing games on my phone. It's peaceful there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both my kids are in school now so I actually have free time again! But usually I am still home doing chores!
    I am lucky to have the beach nearby so that is my go-to happy place. I recommend you reach out to other squadron wives to see if they want to get together for coffee dates at your house or something. I know in the past our FRG has been hit or miss but I have met some of my BEST friends through my husbands command!

    Stopping by from the Wednesday Walkabout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I know a few other wives here from our last duty station so I can hang out with them when time allows.

      Delete

I'd love your opinion!