Sunday, December 8, 2013

A chapter has closed

About 10 days ago, I pumped for the very last time. I was down to pumping once a day and I was only making about 2 ounces. It was bittersweet for me. It has been so nice to have my body back and the freedom to live without a pumping schedule. However, it also meant that I was finished providing for Meeghan. I still have around 2000 ounces in the freezer so I am still providing for her, but I felt a bit sad that I wasn't giving her fresh milk anymore. She only has about 15 ounces of milk a day so I will be able to give her breast milk for awhile. I offered some to a friend of mine who just had a baby and is having trouble with nursing and pumping. It still amazes me that I made it that long. I never realized how much of my life it consumed, and how different my life was. Constantly dragging the pump and supplies with me if we left the house for a long time, cleaning parts, trying to entertain the kids while pumping, and waking during the night to pump even after Meeghan started sleeping through the night. Now that I quit I look back wondering how I did it. I am very lucky that with Meeghan I was encouraged by my doctor and her doctor to continue with pumping. When I tried pumping with Hannah I was told several times it would not work, and that I just needed to get her to latch. I only lasted two weeks with Hannah. I was uneducated about pumping, I was battling the baby blues, and I was told it wouldn't work. It is hard to fight against those things. I wish I could go back to those women (they were doctors and lactation consultants) and tell them that they should be more supportive. I made it 11.5 months, and I stopped on my terms. I could have gone longer. I know pumping doesn't work for everyone, but it is an option that women should have.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go momma! I pumped exclusively with M for the first three months of his life (he wouldn't latch). It is such a time consuming thing. But, also so rewarding when you know your little is getting all their nutrients from you. 11.5 months is awesome!
    (I'm also insanely jealous you have a supply. I never was able to produce enough for any sort of supply.)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love your opinion!