Monday, January 21, 2013

Differences

Lately, I have begun to notice that the husband and I have very different parenting styles.  When Hannah was an infant, we had the same philosophy on how to raise her.  Now that she has turned into a very feisty toddler, our approach is very different.  For instance, he will spank and flick her on the head if she has done something wrong.  I refuse to do any of that.  If she is misbehaving I try to talk to her first while she is in time out.  He will spank and  then put her in time out.  He threatens with more spanking while I will threaten to take her favorite toy away for a day.  I can tell by our parenting styles that we were raised completely different.  I was raised by parents who did threaten to spank me, but never did.  Instead of grounding me or sending me to my room, I would have to write an essay about what I did wrong or even do community service work.  My parents didn't use traditional methods to punish me.  The husband on the other hand was hit with a belt if he did something wrong.  I have told him that it makes me uncomfortable to watch him spank her, and I would like him to stop.  He said he won't because it is the only way she will learn.  This is definitely causing a problem between the two of us.  I am not sure how to fix it.  I would say we both need to compromise, but I don't know what the middle ground would be.  Have any of you dealt with this before?  I am at a loss on how to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love your opinion!